Thursday, November 5, 2009

More on "Will-Powers"

Last week, we began a series on "will-powers."

Here is "will-power" number seven: I WILL think of three reasons why it is ridiculous for me to believe that thinner people are happier or "better." I WILL repeat these reasons to myself whenever I feel the urge to compare my body shape with someone.

What are your reasons? Share below!

(P.S. In case you missed the explanation last week: More than 20 years ago, researchers Michael Levine, PhD, and Linda Smolak, PhD, developed a list of "10 'Will-Powers' for Improving Body Image." Check out the whole list.)

EDCT thanks NEDA for contributing to this post.

3 comments:

  1. 1) I've been thinner and I still wasn't happy.
    A look back at my journal entries from this time reminds me, "I'm X weight and I'm still unhappy. My loneliness is still here.. the pain, the shame, it's all still here. When does it go away?" .. The bottom line: true and real happiness comes from within.

    2) I want to be real and the real me isn't a ghost (I assume.) The real me is who God created me to be, not a superficial me.

    3) It doesn't matter if I'm X weight or X weight. I've been both. Until I love myself for who I am and trust in the Lord (or whatever you find trust/faith in), I will continue to struggle to find peace, love, and happiness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I know several people who'd technically be "obese" (acc. to BMI) who are delightful, happy, and wonderful friends.

    2) Our brains' abilities to produce chemicals that make us feel good (like serotonin and dopamine) is hampered when we are at a too-low weight.

    3) Media/cultural depictions of thinness=happiness are manufactured and artificial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) When I was thinner, I isolated myself from everyone. Once I started letting people in again, I discovered I'm a people person--and the people around me don't care what I weigh as long as I'm healthy!

    2) I missed out on some awesome desserts when I was too thin--namely warm cobbler with ice cream!

    3) I wasted a lot of time at the gym when I was thinner--time that would have been better spent having experiences and enjoying a life of freedom.

    ReplyDelete