Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Recovery Resolutions

I am sure that many of you have been contemplating the concept of "resolutions" as we begin this new year. Some of you may have already broken resolutions that you made for the year. Some of you might fear making a resolution because you have experienced your inability to keep the ones you made last year. I believe when resolutions are made thoughtfully and reasonably they can be helpful in giving us direction. However, resolutions made without resolve are useless. Perhaps you have just been going through the motions of recovering from an eating disorder, disordered eating behaviors or chronic dieting without true personal resolve. This may be the year that you actually start experiencing recovery vs just doing recovery.

The most vital recovery resolution is to truly resolve! The definition of resolve is: "to come to a definite or earnest decision about ...". The person involved in the recovery process has to make their own resolve. No one can resolve for you. A parent, spouse, friend or treatment provider cannot transfer their resolve to see someone recovered to the person struggling. Without coming to a definite and earnest decision that you personally desire recovery, all other resolutions will fail. Each individual will vary as to how they develop their resolve to recover. One of the benefits of this blog is sharing and encouraging each other in the battle against eating disorders/disordered eating. We can help people fan the flames of their resolve! Please feel free to post about the "aha" moment when you crossed over from just doing recovery to actually experiencing recovery.

The challenge is to change the conversation from simply discussing resolutions to actually making a resolve to recover!



3 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that I had only been "doing" and not "experiencing". Reading this was my "aha" moment. I've been going through the motions - following a different set of rules, healthier rules, but still a set of rules. I'm looking forward to trusting my body more this year! Thank you God for creating me EXACTLY how You did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this was an "aha" moment. I have been "doing" instead of "experiencing" recovery...and I haven't been doing all that well! I feel like I have been "in" the recovery process for way too long...will I ever "arrive"? Maybe if I strive to "experience" recovery instead of "doing" it I will get there.
    Thanks for a great bolg, Reba.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "aha" moment came in the form of a grocery list. For months, while enveloped by anorexia, my food choices had no variety, balance or moderation. I remember the day when my brain switched from feeling safe to feeling caged in by eating the same food, at the same time, every single day. So I challenged myself that week to buy three food items that were previously off-limits. I kept doing it until swinging through the bread and ice cream aisles didn't feel so scary anymore. Now I'm enjoying a wide variety of food (and still push myself to go outside of my comfort zone from time to time). It's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete