Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Overcoming Fear

My wonderful uncle, Sam, passed away last year from a long battle with leukemia. Before his death, he and I had a conversation about fear. He told me that he never allowed fear to be the reason he refrained from doing anything. For instance, he was terrified of the ocean, but in order to overcome that fear, he went on long fishing trips with his wife and three sons throughout the year. Those trips were some of the most memorable and meaningful experiences he shared with his family.

He died at the age of 46, but he lived every one of those years to the fullest. Now, my challenge to you (as it was presented to me by Uncle Sam) is to identify what fears hold you back, and to boldly charge forth anyway. In the words of the poet Mary Oliver, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

Now it's your turn--"weigh-in" below!

This post was contributed by Mallory Kimbrell, a severe coffee addict, nearly broke English major at Belmont University, and current intern for the EDCT.

1 comment:

  1. I plan to travel to Switzerland this summer to visit missionary friends there and learn about what they do. I also plan to snuggle, eat ice cream, and get dirty. Those are the things that make life fun for me. :)

    ReplyDelete